Friday, June 29, 2007

TheJenksster and CapnChaz's Ridiculous Ride

Yesterday CapnChaz and I headed up north to hit some hills . . . I hit the first one hard and was pretty much cooked after that. Oh well.

CapnChaz was looking for some stupid-steep climb he found on this map, including elevation changes, of NJ. We thought we found the right road but apparently we were wrong and just as it started to POUR down rain, we found ourselves descending a gravel road . . . nice! I started to feel like a mountain biker (uh oh).

We got all turned around and decided just to head back home (we were in Long Hill at this point, wayyyy north of Highland Park). We got mildly lost and ended up next to Basking Ridge Country Club. After checking with some passing motorists and Google maps via my phone, we headed back on our way, but not before I went completely head over my bars trying to get on the road from the grass. Feeling more and more like a mountain biker, I suppose. Ouch.

The monsoon began to fade away but we were already soaked through and planned to ride until we saw some roads we recognized. We somehow ended up at King George and made the rather lucky decision to turn right. The rest, as they say, is history.

We left at 6PM and got home at about 8:50PM. It was deserving of its title: Death March Through the Watchung Hills.

2 comments:

CaptainChaz said...

I rechecked the map when I got home... we turned left onto Oaks, not Oak! Morals of story: 1) the names of trees and presidents are quite common street names, 2) only take someone on a new route if you have figured it out first.

I am going to go find the correct route now or tomorrow. PS - descending hills at 40 MPH with rain in your eyes doesn't feel very pleasant.

Thanks Mike, thanks for not killing me (other than up the first climb).

Charlie

CaptainChaz said...

alternative definition for mountain biker or consider mountain biker