Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Why We Ride

First off, this is an interesting post from TreeHugger about the bicycle being the most efficient form of transportation. That is pretty amazing to me. It makes me love the bike and the bike game that much more.

The above article answers the question of why we ride for so long. The machine is just too damn efficient. I always find it amusing to see people's jaws drop when they hear I rode 100+ miles over the course of a weekend. Once you've been regularly cycling for at least a few months, the miles melt away . . . unless you're on the trainer, of course. What the TreeHugger article doesn't explain, though, is Why We Ride. (Re-read the last sentence aloud and when you reach the period, say the word, "period.")

The Bike Game is part of why we ride. There's the camaraderie, the typical bike gamer attitude and personality. There's a lot. But for me, it's something else. Unfortunately, I can't explain what that something else is. During the solo portion of my ride on Saturday, I marvelled at how beautiful and elegant the bike and riding it were. It may have been the bonk coming through, or perhaps the rush of wind, but I had some tears in my eyes for a brief moment during that ride. Unfortunately, my tears, unlike those of Chuck Norris, don't cure cancer, only diabetes (Type II only).

In the same way that cocaine is a hell of a drug, the bike makes for one hell of a game.

No comments: