Saturday, May 26, 2007

TheFuriousJenksster

Redemption came in the form of a podium at the US Bicycling Hall of Fame Criterium in Somerville, NJ. It was still hot, though not the hellish inferno that was Manville yesterday.

I don't remember much other than pounding the first couple laps to string it out and cause pain and my bridging effort at the end. I like seeing the look of fear in everyone's eyes when the Green and Yellow take to the line.

I wasn't paying attention to the lap cards so when they cut a few out to accomodate the Pro race, I didn't notice. What I did notice was that with 4 to go, there was a lone breakaway with four chasing. I had been cruising at the back for a while, biding my time so had some energy and those famous "itchy feet" to propel me to and off of the front. I was amazed to look back and still have a big gap on the field after half a lap. I covered the 25 or so second gap in about two laps, leaving one and a half to recover. It wasn't quite enough as we came up the short hill to the final corner. When the first impatient break rider jumped, I wanted to latch on his wheel but couldn't. All that I could get hold of was Gabriel Lloyd's wheel, who I later easily came around (take THAT you doubters, Mark and Will, oh ye of little faiths) to take 3rd.

I'm looking forward to Somerville on Monday and hoping it comes down to a field sprint. It could end up being a lot of fun.

1 comment:

ntw said...

I'm pretty sure I said you could take Lloyd.

I mean, geez.

I think I was more doubtful of you taking Wells in a two up sprint (though I'd like to see that...).