Thursday, May 17, 2007

Rest

Apologies for a very delinquent post.

Last Saturday I did about four hours and felt great. On Sunday, I said, "Go" and my legs said, "No." I'm not sure if it was because I didn't eat enough on Saturday afternoon post-ride or if it's because I've been steadily building, increasing training load and riding more without a real rest since early March. Probably a combination. After barely being able to hold wheels on Sunday's two hour ride, I resolved to take it easy this week and try to peak for Somerville weekend.

With that in mind, I went to Rahway on Tuesday night with the notion of sitting in the whole time. Unfortunately, I am far too impatient to do that. However, given the ridiculously windy conditions, I didn't have to attack too much to be on the rivet. There was even a point about 30 minutes in that I was thinking I might pop. But I didn't. The final laps felt quite easy without having burned matches throughout the prior fifty minutes. I could have taken the win* easily but, in an effort to get Andy a win and go one-two, I made it closer than it could have been as I almost got beat by a late-charging guy from Somerset.

I took Wednesday completely off due to 1) needing to actually rest during the rest week 2) the road was soaked and, while I generally love riding in the rain, the 50kmh wind gusts and lightning scared me off and 3) I just washed and Pledged(R) my steed and didn't want to get it grimy again. I felt really strange just kind of sitting around on a Wednesday evening. It's not something I've done in a while. It did allow me to get to sleep by 9:30, however, which was verrrrrrry nice.

So today is Thursday which means karaoke. In the spirit of the rest week, I won't be staying out too late, though I will be getting my licks in while I still can.

Hopefully the easy past couple of days will have allowed the legs enough time to recover so I can comfortably lay the smack down on Tyler Wren on Sunday in Marlton.

*-The guy that protested the sprint last week went completely apeshit this week. What really pisses me off is that he wasn't screaming so much about the safety and liability associated with passing cars on the right but was actually mostly concerned that he wasn't involved in the sprint. Class A Douchebag. Had he been mixed up in the sprint, I'd have crushed him anyways. I can't wait until we have a free and clear sprint at Rahway so I can show him how it's really done.

1 comment:

Don said...

"free and clear sprint"? do those happen at rahway?