Monday, May 28, 2007

Je Me Déteste

The epic Somerville weekend is over. Manville, Hall of Fame, Bound Brook and Somerville have all come and gone. I got a lot of good results but can't feel much but frustration for the whole weekend.

I can come up with a lot of excuses:

Manville- suffered mightily in the heat. Had to save some for Saturday and the rest of the weekend, etc.

Hall of Fame- spent too much gas bridging, left it too late, didn't respond to the right wheel moving, etc.

Bound Brook- wasn't working for myself, in the wind too much, save some for Somerville, etc.

Somerville- sprint was messy, in the wind too much, lost my leadout to a crash, etc.

DNF, 3rd, 3rd, 4th is really quite good for the whole weekend but I'm honestly disappointed in my performance. The last two weekends have been 2nd, 26th, DNF, 3rd, 3rd, 4th. I'm going in the wrong direction. Sure, the Cat3 field at Evesham wasn't nearly as strong as the Cat3 field at Somerville, or even Hall of Fame. In the end, though, all that I will remember is that I made a small mistake here, a minor miscalculation there that kept me from a win.

The only thing I'm feeling positive about from this weekend and last is that right now I know that I don't have top form. So being there and thereabouts in each of these races certainly is motivating for when I get to Rochester and Altoona, when I should really and truly be peaking.

In the meantime, I'm going to work on my sprints, trying to bust the 1300w barrier. Rochester should be pretty good and, based on my consistent performance this weekend, I should be able to put a really solid performance in at Altoona.

Final note: by my calculation from last weekend and this weekend, I should have 24 points in the NJ Cat3 Cup which should put me very near if not at the top of the standings. As if I needed another reason to race with a target on my back . . .

4 comments:

Will said...

Je Me Vomit

Take this whiny post down, please. Be happy you had a safe weekend and had friends who came out to watch and care about how you raced.

If there were an a version of MTV's "Sweet Sixteen" show for bike racing, you would be its season finale.

~Hetero Life Partner

Don said...

jenks, my friend, reread your post. just read it again. remember what you wrote at the beginning when you read what you wrote towards the end. actually pay attention to what the sentences say.

most of all, remember the first rule of writing: know who your audience is. for goodness' sake.

ntw said...

cut the emo crap.

take a look at my bloggage for some positive spin on the weekend.

Unknown said...

Dude,

Thanks for racing in Bound Brook. Should we keep the race where it was this year or move it back downtown? Always enjoy seeing world-class racers in our little burg.