Thursday, January 25, 2007

'Cross Training

Last week I started getting consistent with weeknights on the trainer (minus the crappy Tuesday). For those many millions of you that are non-cyclists reading this, time passes during trainer rides much like time appears to pass within a black hole as observed from outside the event horizon (nerd alert!). That is, it goes very, very slowly. One hour on the trainer psychologically equates to about three hours out on the road. This year seems better than last, though. (Note: last year was the only time I've ever consistently ridden a trainer). I feel strong. I know I am stronger now than I was at this point last year.

That is not necessarily a good thing, though, in my mind. Sometimes I feel like I am doing too much of the Nu-Skool threshold-work-only plan. You might call it the Todd Plan. But why am I stronger now than last year?

Maybe my first full season of racing put me in better shape.

Maybe I took less time off over the winter.

Maybe I'm just older and more developed.

All these things may play a role. However, I think the biggest difference is cyclocross. CX, 'cross, the 'cross game, the game, mud-slog, it's-kinda-a-cross-between-road-and-mountain-biking or whatever it is you want to call it. I don't think it built up the endurance much but it sure did make my legs strong. And it was fun. So fun that I'm already looking forward to it next year (but not as much as I'm looking forward to the road season and, strangely enough, also Rahway).

Yes, 2007 will be a good year for the bike game.

3 comments:

Don said...

i'm so excited
and i just can't hide it
i'm about to lose control
and i think i like it

Steve said...

http://www.thehardcore24.com/

Going to participate next year? 24 hours of [mountain] biking goodness

TheJenksster said...

Hmmm, Steve D you are obviously not privy to my opinions regarding mountain biking, mountain bikers and the mtb.M.O. I will make a post at some point stating said opinions but it will be at a time when I feel it is no longer necessary to have any friends.